Re: ITK Debian packaging

On Wed, Sep 14, 2005 at 08:51:25AM +0200, Andreas Tille wrote:

> I asked you for progress on the ITK packaging because I did not heard
> from you since a year.  When Guanglei sended his posting I thought for
> a moment you were working together and sended you a mail.

Unfortunately I was swaped with work for a while, and the packaging efforts
took a back seat.  But that project has now finished, and since the new 2.2
release of ITK I had picked up the packaging again.

> But if I did understand Guanglei right his interest would be specific to
> ITK and perhaps we find a way that he might support your work?  I have the
> following suggestions:
>
>   1) Please find a way to publish your latest packaging sources or give an
>      explicite link to it.

Right - I have downloaded the source to Guanglei's packages.  I will merge
in any changes he has made that I didn't have, then put the sources up on
mentors.debian.net again.  Then others can at least get the source packages
and build it themselves, and from there you can sponsor it into main once it
is ready.

>   2) Consider group maintainance in general.  At DebConf 5 in Helsinki
>   there was a consensus that group maintainance is a good idea for complex
>   packages anyway.  ITK seems to fit the category "complex" and it is nice
>   to know that someone else shares the effort.  To support this I could
>   start a project on Alioth where you can maintain the packaging sources.

Sure - I'm happy to work together.  There's a number of related packages, so
there's enough work to split up.

Alioth sounds like it could be useful, especially with group maintenance.

>   3) Lets try to find a way to quickly move ITK into Debian to avoid further
>      confusion and spread the thing amongst Debian users.  Thus they can use
>      the Debian bug tracking system which normally increases the packaging
>      quality.

So Guanglei: let me know if you want to work on this together.  What do you
think?  We can resync off-list, get the packages together and start things
moving again.

(BTW: this is not my regular email for Debian project work; that is at the
domain antonym.org with the address gavinb.)

Regards to all -

  :: Gavin

--
Gavin Baker                                      Complex Systems Group
http://www.cs.mu.oz.au/~gavinb             The University of Melbourne