Re: (Maybe) future Debian-Med packages

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, Nelson A. de Oliveira wrote:

Softwares that I have asked for permission but they said "It's a good
idea, but I won't allow because I can't know if your version is the same
of our version", "Yes, we allow but since the software has parts that
are owned by company XYZ, you have to aske them" (company XYZ is
commercial and didn't allow) or even a "No." :-)
I think we should bother these people from time to time.  I hope
if Debian-Med becomes more important more people might notice that
the could gain profit from a DFSG free license.

Since they can't be redistributed, I won't make a long description.

CCP4 (www.ccp4.ac.uk)
CNS (http://cns.csb.yale.edu/v1.0/)
Modeller (http://salilab.org/modeller/)
Molmol (http://hugin.ethz.ch/wuthrich/software/molmol/index.html)
Xplor-NIH (http://nmr.cit.nih.gov/xplor-nih/)
Xtalview (http://www.sdsc.edu/CCMS/Packages/XTALVIEW/xtalview.html)
I's duggest to keep this somewere on a local disk but if there is
no chance for distribution we should not list it on our pages.

I think that might be more... I don't remember right now.

Some programs I have packed, but since when I created the package I was
still a beginner (well, I am still one :-P ), I will have to redo the
packages. I see no problem on this.
Just start with the package which is the most important for you and
seek for a sponsor (if all fails I will do it).  Working together
with the sponsor is the best thing to enhance the quality and get
the package into Debian.  Once this is done we can continue with the
next.

Nelson, many thanks for your nice summary.  I think Tobieas will have a
busy weekend to include this ;-)).  We greatly appreciate your work and
are happy to call you a member of our team.