Re: Jmol unofficial debian package

Am Samstag, den 05.02.2005, 11:19 +0100 schrieb Michael Banck:
> On Fri, Feb 04, 2005 at 12:27:20PM +0100, Daniel Leidert wrote:
> > I told "you" about the problem with contrib some time ago. Jmol uses
> > some precompiled Java libraries during build-process. I further
> > changed to binary-all.

Hmm. I reverted back to contrib.

http://debian.wgdd.de/debian/dists/unstable/contrib/binary-all/science/

My understanding of
http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-archive.html#s-contrib is,
that the packages can be put into contrib, because the precompiled Java
libs do not belong to the Jmol source. They are only necessary for
compilation. And that's not a killer criteria for contrib. I have an
open thread on debian-menotors about this problem, but no answer till
now.

> Does it work with a free Java environment, though?

I don't know. My system uses Sun Java. I will test jikes or something
like this later. For the moment, I'm happy with Java 2 from Sun (sorry,
but there isn't really an alternative to Sun - I know the legal issues).
The applet is compiled to work with several JVM 1.1. But I did not test
it (fixed only some bugs yesterday and added documentation). For testing
purposes: http://debian.wgdd.de/test/demo.html. The compilation requires
Sun Java 2 (IMHO), but that's not for sure. I tried to compile the
applet with gcj and ran into trouble (see the jmol-devel mailing list).

> Is this sort of
> building with pre-compiled stuff in the source inevitable, or just a
> matter of convenience from the upstream dudes?

It's not inevitable, but there are no Debian packages for these libs.
And at the moment, it would be too much work for me/one person (see, I
package a lot of chemical applications, which are not in the official
Debian distribution), to provide Debian packages for these libs too.

There are still some cosmetic bugs in Jmol. I will fix them in the next
days. If you find issues or want to give me some special information:
Feedback is _always_ welcome.

Regards, Daniel
--
http://debian.wgdd.de