Re: Veterinary management software

On Thu, 21 Aug 2003, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> I suggest you take a good hard look at all the *human* medical
> practice applications such as FreePM, TORCH, OSCAR, FreeMed,
> GnuMed, TkFP to find out.
Please do not look at TkFP.  I have done this for you and it is not a good
example.

> Also look at dental care software (OdontoLinux, LinuDent).
LinuDent seems to be dead upstream.

> Use PostgreSQL. Don't use MySQL or SQLite.
Fully ACK for the time beeing.  On the other hand there is a hope that the
cooperation of MySQL and SAP leads to a good database system in the future.
But currently PostgreSQL is the DB of choice now.

> Use either wxPython, Tcl/Tk or PHP for the frontend.
I have to admit that I have never seen a nice GUI based on Tcl/Tk.  It might
be that I have not seen enough GUIs but if you will have to learn a new language
anyway, I'd suggest Python (using wxPython for nice GUIs).

> Another option would be Zope.
Zope and PHP are comparable but you'll get only Web interfaces.  If this is
what you want both are fine and I'd suggest to use the tool your next friend /
colleague is using just to make sure you can ask somebody.
(Somebody might say that PHP can also be used as general scripting language (not
only for web programming - but I'm not convinced that it is comparable to Python
for this purpose.)