Re: ANNOUNCE: Medical Words v0.1

Dear Andreas,

On Tue, 8 Jul 2003 Andreas Tille <tillea@rki.de> wrote :

>... Do I understand it right that its primary usage
> might be spell checking or do you see any further applications.

If I may pass comment as a 3rd party...

"Medical Words", has many important possible uses. It can a starting point
for a dictonary or an encyclopedia, and the basis for a free medical data
language. All these this would take a great deal of effort, but they must
start with a list of terms such as this.

Elizabeth's next stage, linking latin-greek roots is particularly useful.
These morphemes (word fragments carrying meanings) are the basis of much
medical, scientific and technical terminology in all European languages.
This information will indicate possible spellings of words in a given
context, and likely meanings of terms not previously encountered. This
would be of great help for translation between human languages, and for
translation from human language to a processible data language.

"Medical Words" is a very useful precursor/foundation for many things :))
(though a great deal of work will be involved).

Kind regards

(PS nice photos :))
--
Nick Hockings