Re: Why Python ? Why PostgreSQL ?

On Sun, 24 Aug 2003, Pierre DELGOVE wrote:

> 2/ I read from the responses that I would rather study Python than Tcl. I'd
> like to have some arguments (if possible) for this choice. I had a look to
> web sites in french I could find and they offer large amounts of information
> (tutorials and so on).
My main argument is: Just look to applications written in both languages and
draw your own decisions.  If you are not able to decide look at the code.  I'm
sure you will know afterwards.

> 3/ Why using PostgreSQL instead of MySQL ? It seems that PostgreSQL is more
> comprehensive that MySQL but it is not very clear in my mind. SQLite is quite
> a simplification of MySQL.
has a link to
    http://openacs.org/philosophy/why-not-mysql.html
iwhich explains why we prefer POstgreSQL.  While this document is a little
bit outdated and the main argument (missing transactions in MySQL) is more
or less fixed there are a lot more reasons.  Sorry I have no time to start / fight
a "Which is the best database" flamewar.  Regarding SQLite I think we do not need
even simplifications of MySQL if MySQL is just to simple.
On the other hand it might be that the SAP-DB effort of MySQL leads to a more
usable (regarding our needs) database.

On the other hand you have to keep ind that I'm no real expert in database
programming.  I'm more on the user side and I care for those users who are not
able or willing to install software manually on their computer.