Re: ANNOUNCE: usfda-ndc-drug-info v0.4
On 13 May 2003, Elizabeth Barham wrote:
> It is updated:
> and it should build on your machine. The build errors were because of:
> * a newer libxml2-dev installation on your machine (I upgraded to
> the testing version)
In general this is a good idea for development machines without
mission critical tasks.
> * your C++ compiler (g++-3.2) is more strict than my standard C++
Yes, this is a design feature of gcc 3.x.
> complier (g++-2.95) so I re-wrote the test macro in configure.ac.
At least for the xml part it works but
checking for libxml - version >= 2.0.0... yes (version 2.5.6)
checking for gawk... gawk
checking for tr... tr
checking for cat... cat
checking how to link against the Berkeley DB C++ library... undefined
configure: error: could not link against db3
The complete log can be found besides the other things I did at:
> > ln -s usfda-ndc-drug-info-0.4a.tar.gz usfda-ndc-drug-info_0.4a.orig.tar.gz
> > at least it is the sense to provide a identical copy of the original
> > source file in the orig.tar.gz file. But I tried this and the
> > orig.tar.gz file seemed to be different because...
> For some reason, this build did not include a diff but rather
> generated a new source tarball
This is normally the reason if the orig.tar.gz is missnamed. A usual
error is to use '-' instead of '_' before the upstream version number.
If you obtain
this file contains a correctly named symbolic link which obviousely let
debuild create a diff file.
Hint: It is perfectly normal to make this mistake. I had to fight hard with
my very first package and made the same mistake several times ...
> although I did do the "ln -s" thing prior to the build.
Just verify the right name than all wirll work.
> Anyway, I simply placed both versions on
> sourceforge; maybe I'll figure it out sufficiently for the next
Just remove the other tarball. You will see that all will went fine.