HowTo install med-packages (Was: Gnutrition)

On Wed, 25 Sep 2002, Andrew Ho wrote:

>   I like it.
>   It offers both the foods-database and a set of front end applications.
>   It would be a good software to package.
>   I just migrated from Mandrake to Debian on my laptop and server (1, 3
> more to go). Are there any Debian-med packages that I can test?
Feel free to test *any* med-* packages.
Just try

  ~> apt-cache search med | grep "^med-"

to find out which med-packages are available regarding to your
       /etc/apt/sources.list
file which defines the sources where apt-get obtains packages from.
In my case it shows:

med-bio - Debian Med bioinformatics packages
med-common - Debian Med Project common package
med-common-dev - Debian Med Project common files for developing meta packages
med-dent - Debian Med packages for dental practice
med-imaging-dev - Debian Med packages for medical image development
med-tools - Debian Med several tools
med-bio-contrib - Debian Med bioinformatics packages (contrib and non-free)
med-doc - Debian Med documentation packages
med-imaging - Debian Med imaging packages

Further information about the versions which are available and are
target to installation can be obtained by

   ~> apt-cache policy <packagename>

For instance:

   ~> apt-cache policy med-doc
med-doc:
  Installed: 0.3-1
  Candidate: 0.3-1
  Version Table:
     0.4-1 0
         50 http://ftp.de.debian.org unstable/main Packages
 *** 0.3-1 0
        998 http://wr-linux01.rki.ivbb.bund.de testing/main Packages
        998 http://ftp.debian.de testing/main Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

This means: med-doc version 0.3 is part of the testing distribution
(moreover in stable/woody) and version 0.4 is in unstable and that's
why it is not installed by default.  I strongly suggest unstable only
in case you know what you are doing.  I go with testing perfectly well
on workstations.  But for the Debian-Med packages a know the risk and
do a manual install of dedicated unstable packages via

    ~> apt-get install med-doc/unstable

for instance.

       man apt-get                   and
       man apt-cache

are your friends!

Feel free to ask more questions on this topic.