Re: Dental practice - Odontolinux!

On Mon, 21 Jan 2002, Karsten Hilbert wrote:

> >> I am a dentist, an italian dentist, and I am also a Debian developer.
> >> I was thinking of recycling odontolinux to make it
> >> more "generic" and suitable for generic medical practice.

Karsten,
  Thanks for copying the message to me! I just subscribed to the
debian-med list. Is there a list archive somewhere? I like to catch up if
I can.

> > I strongly suggest to contact GnuMed.  In my opinion it is a project with
> > a rock solid design providing enough flexibility to keep national health
> > of different countries in mind.  It is also based on PostgreSQL which
> > might make it easier to gain profit for both.

I like to know more about OdontoLinux. Also, I think there is much that
can be learned from FreeMed and TkFp. GnuMed and OdontoLinux seem similar
to these projects in some ways.

> It may be possible to merge OdontoLinux and GNUmed such that
> OdontoLinux becomes a PHP based frontend for GNUmed patient
> tables and provides additional specialized dental care tables.

Back to the issue of flexible schema and inter-schema operations. I would
be most interested to hear your view on OIO's attempt to address these
issues.

> This is actually one of the things that we keep as a design
> principle: People are people and only become patients by
> showing up in additional tables holding medical data. I don't
> see any reason why we should not be able to make person
> related tables compatible.

There are generally two ways to become compatible. Two tables (schema)
can be identical. Or, there can be a mechanism to translate between the
two.

> I am downloading to have a look.
>
> >> My dream would be to make a tool to permit users
> >> to auto-create his own management system.
> Talk to Andrew :-)   In OIO there's things between Haven and
> Erth that we know not of...  (sorry for this much convoluted
> aggregate quote).

The OIO system does provide some capabilities for the "auto-creation" of
user's own management system. Hopefully, we will be able to expand these
capabilities so that increasingly more complex and customizable workflow
will be supported. Currently, the main workflows are:
 1) add/search for a patient, pick a form, fillout form
 2) select a patient, view data, import/export patient record (as XML)
 3) create report, drill-down analysis, export data
 4) add/edit a form, add/edit items on the form, archive form
 5) download form from OIO Library/select form, import/export form as XML
 6) various patient list creation and editing operations

> I Cc'ed Andrew.

Thanks, I am working on a scheduling module. This will be the first step
towards having a "workflow editor".

Best regards,

Andrew
---