Re: Status of the Medicine Database

On 25 Oct 2002, Elizabeth Barham wrote:

>    Congratulations on the move to package GnuMed for Debian.
Thanks. :)

>    A few months ago, you wrote the maintainer/author of a particular
> application that allowed the user in look-up medications and find out
> information about this. As I recall, the gist of the letter was a
> query to determine it's license so that it could be included with
> Debian.
>
>    I am wondering what the outcome of the above-mentioned
> correspondence was?
I remember that something was discussed here.  I think if someone
would have told me that there is a thing we use with a DFSG-free
license than I would have put it on our TODO-list (i.e. the Debian-Med
web pages).  But I did not and so I'm afraid nobody cared about :-(.

Could some interested person please do some research if there is a
free license.  Perhaps the people on debian-legal can help to find
the right decision.  Sorry, I currently do not have the slightes
time slice to investigate here. :-(

>    I personally have been looking at Sleepycat's new XML Database
> product which is in the alpha stage. Perhaps glancing is a better word
> for it as I have not been able to compile it although from what I
> understand there is a simple fix. The goal, though, would be to place
> the free drug data (the basic raw data) from the FDA within a
> Sleepycat XML databases so it could be shipped with Debian with a
> dependency upon the Sleepycat XML-DB.
>
>    Do you still see a need for this?
I have to relay on medical experts if there is a need for a certain
product.  If it is free I try to package it (or try find other people
who might do the packaging stuff).