RE: VistA comments

On Tue, 30 Jul 2002, Smith, Todd wrote:

> I personally have not tried to build a legal Debian package so I don't
> really know what is involved,
For the most cases it is simply a

   configure
   make
   make install prefix=<debian-package-dir>

For more complex software packages it is generally necessary to split the
stuff into more than one Debian packages, care for some special configuration
etc.  In short:  The Debian maintainer has to put all installation stuff into
scripts which work on *every* Debian machine.  How hard this is depends
mainly from the documentation and robustness of the install process.

Finally building a Debian package is not really hard if you are able to
manage installation from scratch.

> but I not really sure that VistA is usable
> without work on the user's part.  Installing the product is the least of
> your worries.
Well, but it is the first hurdle you will be faced to and we could help
users to take this with one simple step.