Re: License for `ARB' [http://www.arb-home.de/]

On Wed, 26 Jun 2002, Matt Hope wrote:

> from arb_README.txt.
>
> DFSG:
> Point 1: ``may not restrict any party from selling or giving away the
> software as a component of an aggregate software''
>
> So ARB isn't ``free'', however it may be applicable for the non-free
> archive.
Well, ARB is not free, that's sure.  What we have to make sure is that
there is a real license.

> /*********** Copyright Notice *************/
>
>         The ARB software and documentation are not in the public domain.
>         External functions used by ARB are the proporty of, their respective
>         authors. This release of the ARB program and documentation may not
>         be sold, or incorporated into a commercial product, in whole or in
>         part without the expressed written consent of the Technical
>         University of Munich and of its supervisors
>         Oliver Strunk & Wolfgang Ludwig.
>
>         All interested parties may redistribute the ARB as
>         long as all copies are accompanied by this
>         documentation,  and all copyright notices remain
>         intact.  Parties interested in redistribution must do
>         so on a non-profit basis, charging only for cost of
>         media.
When I dealt with ARB I did not found such kind of statement.  Seems as
it could go into non-free.

Unfortunately I have to spend my time on other projects now.  I have
uploaded all things I've done on arb to

         http://people.debian.org/~tille/arb/

SOurce and binary packages are just in one directore.  It is no
apt-get - able archive and I do not plan to make it apt-get - able to
prevent users from using it blindly.  There has to be done some work
and testing before users can really use this software.

I would like it if any volunteer would step in and would continue
my work on these packages!