Re: Dictations

Hi Gerado,

I took a medical transcription course but have yet to earn my
certificate.

If your transcribers moved to an XML format, or if the text file can
be parsed and translated into XML (by following a standard format and
being text-only), this type of thing would be simple.

For example,

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<physical>
<patient-name>Joey Ramone</patient-name>
<dob>1951-07-15</dob>
<observations>
<ear-nose-throat>supple</ear-nose-throat>
<chest>no palpable masses</chest>
<!-- recalling from my MT class ;-) -->
</observations>
</physical>

dude@deletia.com writes:

> While I have been keeping tabs on OS software to keep patient
> records, the one thing I've noticed is that I simply dont have the
> time to enter patient data, yet again, on to another form
> (electronic though it may be)

By moving this data into XML, you could use it for many different
applications. Once it's in XML, then you could use XSLT to transform
the data into anyway you want, such as CSV (comma separated values)
for easy insertion into a database, or even HTML for presentation.

> What I do know is that I have to dictate all my notes, and they tend
> to follow a certain set pattern, with some obvious alterations for
> follow-up visits.

> Is anyone working on a program that will parse the data from a
> dictation, ie a plain text file, and place it, appropriately, into a
> database?

It would be easy to write one of these in any decent scripting
language.

> What I am saying is that most of my dictations follow this order
>
> Name: Joey Ramone
> DOB: 7-15-1951
> CC: Social Commentary
> ..and so on.
>
> How hard would it be to find the key words, then take the data after
> say "name" and place it into a database.

Not hard at all.

> Therefore, all dictated notes would be parsed into a database, thus,
> say, when I find a new allergy, my dictated note would say
>
> Allergy: PCN,

> the program would prase that bit out and place it as a new data
> point under the allergy field.

XML is ideal for this type of thing. Once it's in XML, then you could
search for an allergy element with it's value being "PCN". Like I said
before, once it's in XML, you can trasform it into other formats (text
only or another XML document).

> Anyway, i'd like to hear your thoughts because Im trying to play
> around with it, but I dont want to replicate work if it is already
> out there somewhere.

I believe it's a great idea. I'm aware of the common formats used for
medical dictation (such as SOAP [not the XML SOAP]) but having not
worked in the field my familiarly isn't what I would prefer.

A quick Google for "medical dictation xml" turned up this among
others:

http://xml.coverpages.org/sequoiaSW980806.html

Regards, Elizabeth