Re: FreePM on Debian

On Tue, 23 Apr 2002 Jorge.Lehner@gmx.net wrote:

> We just have installed FreePM newly on a Debian Gnu/Linux Box at TOA
> Electrónica and would like to share our installations instructions
> with you.
Great work.  I really hope you know the Debian-Med project, especially

        http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-med/practice#freepm

It would be nice if such reports also could be forewarded to the
debian-med mailing list.  (I just crosspost this mail to get people
interested in FreePM informed.)

I just proposed my intend to care about Debian packages of FreePm but
time constraints (partly because of running the whole Debian-Med project)
did not allow me to get something started.  The following notes should
make a sketch of what should be done to bring some steps foreward into
building a real Debian package for FreePM instead of this quick (and
partly dirty) solution.  (Please note:  I have no problem with quick
solutions but I just want to outline to do things right. So this is no
critic at your work - just hints.  Thanks that you really started something!)

> On Debian first install Zope, than follow the instructions, you just
> install the missing parts out of the original FreePM archive.
>
> We made up two (untested) gzipped tar files, which can be downloaded
> upon request from our Web-site, where we left out everything
> superfluos on an installed Zope.
>
>      fpm-1.06b.tgz contains the Zope addons *and* the importable
>      .zexp files, it is 8898081 Bytes.
>
>      fpm-debian.tgz only con the Zope addons: 964025 Bytes.
Remarks: If there are some Zope components missing in Debian, the right
way would be to ask for inclusion into Debian.  The usual way is to file
a bug tagged RFP (Request For Packaging) against the wnpp (Work Needing
and Prospective Packages) metapackage.  If you don't know what I'm talking
about - feel free to ask.  Perhaps your investigations resulted in a list
of missing Zope products and you could just foreward this list.  I could
care about these RFP issues.

> Now the instructions:
>
> * Create and enter the directory /usr/lib/zope/Extensions
This is the dirty part.  Debian policy says:  /usr is under control of
dpkg.  Do not manually install something to /usr.  You should install
all things to /usr/local if you do it manually.  There are two clean
solutions for this problem:
  a) Build official Debian packages from all missing "extensions" (see
     above).
  b) Alternatively file a bug severity wishlist against the zope
     package.  There should be a clear policy for local extensions
     to zope which can be put under /usr/local.

> * Unpack extensions_for_1.0b6.tar.gz
(See above.)

> * Unpack FreePM-1.0b6-FULL-linux2-x86.tar.gz in some temporary
>   directory, say /tmp, enter /tmp/FreePM-1.0b6-FULL-linux2-x86
>
> * Copy from lib/python/Products the following directories to
>   /usr/lib/zope/lib/python/Products:
>
>   BtreeFolder
This Zope product has to be builded as Debian package.

>   CookieCrumbler
There is a file
   /usr/lib/zope/lib/python/Products/CMFCore/CookieCrumbler.py
in the zope-cmfcore package.  I'm not really sure how far this is
related/works.  Could somebody please check?

>   LocalFS
This Zope product has to be builded as Debian package.  I recently took
over the ExtFile product for some other project.  I see no problem to
take over LocalFS as well which has quite the same functionality.

>   PageTemplates
   ~> dpkg --status zope
   Package: zope
   ~> dpkg -L zope | grep -c PageTemplates
   91

So if you are running Woody (the upcoming stable release 3.0 which will be
ready in the not so far future) you will not have to do this.

>   Sessions
   ~> dpkg -L zope | grep -c Sessions
   26

>   Spellchecker
>   TemporaryFolder
>   Transience
Any URL for these products.  I cant find them.

>   ZpdfDocument
This Zope product has to be builded as Debian package.

> * Copy the directory lib/python2.1/reportlab to /usr/lib/python2.1
>   (you are supposed to have the python2.1 .deb installed).
Under Woody just do:

    apt-get install python-reportlab

> * Get stripogram-1-1.tar.gz from the Zope Website and unpack it inside
>   /usr/lib/python2.1
There are some files in a subdriectory named stripogram in the SquishDot
package for Woody.  Perhaps somebody could make sure if they
    a) work with FreePM
    b) conflict with the separate package and thus perhaps SquishDot may
       conflict with FreePM
    c) Should be extracted from SquishDot package to let SquishDot and
       the future FreePm package share the common files from a separate
       stripogram Debian package.

> * create a symbolic link: ln -s /var/lib/zope/var /usr/lib/zope
>
> * create the pdf directory and its subdirectories:
>   mkdir /var/lib/zope/var/pdf
>   mkdir /var/lib/zope/var/pdf/rc
>   mkdir /var/lib/zope/var/pdf/fax
>   mkdir /var/lib/zope/var/pdf/reports
>
> * change the owner of the pdf directories
>   chown www-data -R /var/lib/zope/var/pdf
>
> * restart Zope
Such stuf should be done in a future postinst script of FreePM.  Users should
not need to care about such stuff.

> * copy the .zexp files into /var/lib/zope/import and import them from
>   Zope.
It is quite a drawback of Zope that zexp have to be imported manually.
I just discussed it on the Zope-Users list and got some response how to
solve it but I was not really happy with the recommendations because
the smelled more or less insecure to me.  So I unfortunately do not
have a clean solution how to do it automatically.

> You should be done.
All together a nice work and brings us a great step foreward in FreePM
for Debian.  If you like to do some more and need any advise (how to
build Debian packages or anything else) do not hesitate to ask me or
debian-med list.

Thanks for your work