xmedcon - packaging issues

On Wed, 10 Apr 2002, Roland Marcus Rutschmann wrote:

> What are we doing about the License issues:
> a) nothing
For sure not.  Somebody will push you with a hammer some seconds after
the upload ;-).

> b) put it in non-free until png is in the program
Would be possible even if not very nice.

> c) should I compile a free binary of libmdc without gif and ecat support and
> a non-free one.
>
> If c) is chosen is there a way of compiling both libs in one step as I have
> to call configure with "disable-gif" option?
If there is a usage which makes sense without the problematic libraries
I would prefer this.  I never dealt with such stuff before but there are
examples in imagemagick and gimp packages.
Please note that there is the libungif library which handles GIFs without
the problematic compression (well - the files will be quite big in this
case but you can convert them to PNG or something else afterwards).