From: John S. Gage [mailto:jgage@epo.som.sunysb.edu]
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 2:16 PM
To: openhealth-list-minoru-development.com; Debian Med Project List
Subject: New FDA Software Regulations 1/11/02

The FDA's "Final Guidance" for software validation was issued on 1/11/02.
It contains the following statement:

"In addition, computer systems used to create, modify, and maintain
electronic records
and to manage electronic signatures are also subject to the validation
requirements.
(See 21 CFR §11.10(a).) Such computer systems must be validated to ensure
accuracy, reliability,
consistent intended performance, and the ability to discern invalid or
altered records."

Does this mean "electronic *patient* records"?  Obviously, I will address
this question to the proper authorities. but the question certainly bears
heavily on this list.

John