Adding $HOME/bin to $PATH in Mate Terminal

Thank you for your work on this great software.

I installed Debian with the Mate desktop using the talking installer from the ISO: https://cdimage.debian.org/debian-cd/current/i386/iso-cd/debian-12.2.0-i386-netinst.iso

Thank you for making the installer speak and for getting Orca to start automatically when I log on.

I opened the Mate Terminal and created a $HOME/bin directory:

mkdir bin

I hoped that $HOME/bin would be in $PATH the next time I logged on and started Mate Terminal. This did not happen.

I can get the outcome that I want by adding the following lines from $HOME/.profile to $HOME/.xsessionrc:

# set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
if [ -d "$HOME/bin" ] ; then
   PATH="$HOME/bin:$PATH"
fi

# set PATH so it includes user's private bin if it exists
if [ -d "$HOME/.local/bin" ] ; then
   PATH="$HOME/.local/bin:$PATH"
fi

I do not know what the best way to do this is.

Please consider making this what happens by default or documenting the best way to do this in more places. For example, it might be helpful to find this information with the command:

man mate-terminal

Thank you.

David