outdated information seems to be on the upstream wiki page of mate-desktop specifically in respect of wayland.

Dear all,

I was looking at the debian wayland page today [1] and specifically
mate support where it was discovered it is unsupported. [2] The link
shared was not correct which I fixed, but the information shared
upstream [3] specifically the following content -

"Wayland support for MATE is currently targeted for some future release.
Though Wayland itself is relatively stable (but still under a lot of active
development), the current obstacles include creating a Wayland compositor for
MATE, and porting the core applications to gtk3, which will allow the
applications to take full advantage of Wayland's capabilites (currently, these
applications are based in gtk2, which can only communicate with Wayland
through the XWayland implementation)." -
https://wiki.mate-desktop.org/#!pages/./wayland.md

Now there seems to be a bit disconnect as it says above that the apps.
are gtk2 which need to be moved to gtk3. Now apparently mate moved to
gtk3 in 2017 with mate desktop 1.18 [4] . The only other real thing I
can get is the roadmap [5]

Could somebody share what is happening with wayland support in mate ?
Please CC me if anybody finds something.

1. https://wiki.debian.org/Wayland
2. https://wiki.debian.org/Wayland#Unsupported
3. https://wiki.mate-desktop.org/#!pages/./wayland.md
4. https://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2017/03/mate-1-18-desktop-released-now-gtk3
5. https://wiki.mate-desktop.org/#!pages/roadmap.md

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल

E493 D466 6D67 59F5 1FD0 930F 870E 9A5B 5869 609C