Have either synaptic removed or have it rebuilt with libgtk3-perl in it recommends.

Dear all,

Dunno if this is the right place to discuss it or not. Integri asked
hence sharing.

There is also another package synaptic which still uses libgtk2-removal.

$ aptitude why libgtk2-perl
i   task-mate-desktop Recommends synaptic
i A synaptic          Recommends libgtk2-perl (>= 1:1.130)

I looked in the tracker and there doesn't seem to be any movement
about syanptic.

I looked at launchpad.net and saw that the last release they made in 2017.

So there seems to be 2-3 things which can be done.

a. Have synaptic be removed from the debian archive and have
mate-desktop use some other alternative for a GUI package manager.

b. Have synaptic rebuilt using libgtk3-perl and bump up the synaptic version.

3. Remove syanptic and whenever upgrading use  --without-recommends so
synaptic doesn't get pulled in in apt and others.

I would prefer b. and then a. if not possible.

I did see that  on popcon.debian.org synaptic does have a fair pull
although dunno whether it is due to the fact that it gets pulled via
task-mate-desktop or people download it.

https://qa.debian.org/popcon.php?package=synaptic

Looking forward to see whatever solution fo the problem is taken up.
Best of luck to those who are tackling it. Thank you for the work in
removing libgtk2-perl .

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल

E493 D466 6D67 59F5 1FD0 930F 870E 9A5B 5869 609C