Re: freeimage and CVE-2019-12214

Hi Cyrille,

El 16/04/24 a las 16:09, Cyrille Bollu escribió:
> Hi Santiago,
>
> >It is not a question of trust. It is a problem of lack of strong
> >evidence that the issue is no longer there in freeimage or openjepg2.
> >We cannot rely only on CVE description to track the issues.
>
> I think you'd be right to not trust my analysis too lightly since it's
> my first contribution here. And, not knowing your practices at all, I
> might easily have overlooked things indeed.

And thanks for you help!

> That being said, I'm not sure I agree with you that we lack "strong
> evidence that the issue is no longer there in freeimage or openjepg2".
>
> Reading your sentence, I understand that there are 2 things to be
> proven:
>
> 1. That the freeimage package (in Debian Buster, FWR Debian LTS) is not
> affected by this vulnerability;
> 2. That the openjpeg2 package (in Debian Buster, FWR Debian LTS) is not
> affected by this vulnerability
>
> As I believe these 2 concerns have been addressed, I'm wondering if you
> are thinking of something else...?

[...]

Sorry if I was not verbose and clear enough in my previous messages. You
are correct about saying that you have addressed these two hypothesis,
but the problem is the information available to verify them relies
*only* on the CVE description and its currently only reference:
https://sourceforge.net/p/freeimage/discussion/36111/thread/e06734bed5/

With a strong evidence I was thinking about a reproducer, confirmation
from upstreams, or a stack trace, as Hugo mentioned in the note he added
in the security-tracker:
https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/CVE-2019-12214
Other than the available descriptions, how can be 100% sure the code
refactoring made with openjpeg2 2.1.0-1 clearly fixes the out-of-bound
access? We are only assuming the issue is in an embedded copy of
openjpeg2, and there is a commit that could have fixed it. I would like
to insist that we prefer to be wrong on the safe side, keeping an issue
open (rather than claiming it is fixed without a more clear evidence)
and continue to track it.

However, I would like to mention *I* think it was worth to inform MITRE
about the code mentioned in the CVE description was found in an embedded
copy of openjpeg2 in freeimage (So thank you for that!). But it is
likely that the security team has a different opinion about this.

I hope this brings some light to the issue.

> I hope my questions are not totally off-topic and that they bring
> something to the discussion.

Your questions are completely on-topic. Thank you for asking!

Cheers,

 -- Santiago