Re: bind9 LTS

Hi Sean

See below.

On Sun, 14 Apr 2024 at 04:17, Sean Whitton <spwhitton@spwhitton.name> wrote:
Hello,

On Sat 13 Apr 2024 at 10:04am +02, Ola Lundqvist wrote:

> See the other mail thread. We risk breaking things since we go from
> 9.11 to 9.16.
> I think this is still worth investigating since bind9 is a well
> written piece of software,
> but here we need to weigh the risk of breaking things and compare that
> to the severity of the problems.

To be clear, what I was proposing was upgrading to a snapshot of the
9.11 branch, not upgrading all the way to 9.16.

Good that you clarified. I guessed that this was what you meant. I personally think a snapshot version of 9.11 may be a way to go.
But it is a little risky, since the user-base for such a snapshot version is so far very small. We cannot rely on that others have used that version.

On the other hand, backporting individual patches is also risky. Especially if they are big, which some of these were.

Either way, we need to be careful to test it well.

Cheers

// Ola

--
Sean Whitton