Re: Guidance for CVE triage and listing packages in dla-needed.txt

Hi Roberto

After first some thinking on what "constitutes a minor issue?" I did some research and realized that there is in fact a good classification in the Debian Security team list here:
https://security-team.debian.org/security_tracker.html#severity-levels

We have "unimportant", "low", "medium" and "high".

The ones classified as "high" are clearly things that warrant a DSA/DLA, so they should never be postponed in LTS.
We can discuss medium, I think they should in general give a DSA/DLA but with lower prio.

Then we need to discuss how to handle all the "low" severity issues we have. We are fixing a lot of them. I think these should in general be postponed or ignored. But that is my view. Sure fixing such can be good but I'm not sure the risk of regression outweighs the security gain by fixing them and also we can discuss whether it is worth fixing.

Related to this I think we should in fact start to use this severity classification more because the severity level will definitely help with the decision on which packages to fix first.

Cheers

// Ola