(E)?LTS report for january

I've worked during january on the below listed packages, for Freexian
LTS/ELTS [1]

Many thanks to Freexian and our sponsors [2] for providing this opportunity!

ELTS:
====

tinyxml
----------

Fix  CVE-2023-34194 and release ELA-1029-1.

Note that this project is dead upstram, but a fork seems active. Opened a bug report about switching to fork.

mariadb10.1
------------------

Tried to assess by risk analysis the best path to upgrade mariadb. Proposed to team a few actions.

sudo
--------

Triaged CVE particularly check CVE-2023-42465 and CVE-2023-7090 not vulnerable for stretch/jessie

Apply CVE-2023-2848[67] to stretch. For jessie risk of regression is too hard due to lbuf backport.

Add a automatic testsuite for stretch

Wait for review by sudo maintainer.

Tried and succeeded  to backport strecht to jessie. Wait for risk analysis by other member of the team.

postfix
----------

Add patch for stretch/jessie for fixing SMTP smurgling.
Allow compilation on backported kernel like in ELTS by patching the makefile.

I also fixed buster in order to allow smooth CVEless upgrade

Autopkgtest fail check unfortunatly, thus I fixed the regression testing testsuite.

I released ELA-1039-1 and DLA 3725-1

curl
------

Backport CVE-2023-27534, CVE-2023-28321, CVE-2023-28322,  CVE-2023-46218 to stretch

Waiting for rewiew by maintainer

LTS
===

Putty
-------

I tried to backport CVE-2023-48795/CVE-2021-36367/CVE-2020-14002 from bullseye, and begin a risk analysis
of the backport. Massive code change will render backport hard and I thus relinquish the package.

webpack
------------

Triaged CVE-2023-28154 that is not present in webpack3.
Test and close actions.

tomcat9
-----------

Following previous month work I reviewed changes and release DLA-3707-1

keystone & subunit
----------------------------

I fixed CVE-2021-38155/CVE-2021-3563.

Unfortunatly I was not able to compile the fix due to a regression in python subunit.

I traced this to a short read bug upstream (https://github.com/testing-cabal/subunit/pull/40).
I backported this fix.

I thus released a bug fix DLA for subunit  DLA-3713-1.

Test shown now that keystone is fixed and I released  DLA-3714-1.

mariadb10.3
------------------

I fixed the last opened CVE  CVE-2023-22084. Unfortunately, CVE fix are not indicated by upstream git commit.
So I contacted upstream security officier, that give me the git commit. Mariadb upstream will likely publish
a summary of CVE fix and git commit associated in order to improve downstream tracking.

I backaported the fix from mariadb 10.11 to 10.3 then I tested using the embdeded test suite.
Unfortunately I have resorted to manual testing due to problem with salsa infrastructure.
The problem was resorted to pristine-tar bug and we are going to investigate.

I released  DLA-3722-1

ansible
----------

Following previous month work and a long mail exchange with redhat security report team
about about CVE-2021-3533 and CVE-2021-3532, redhat CNA retired (rejected) this two CVEs as
invalid.

sudo
-------

I proposed fix for CVE-2023-28486/CVE-2023-28487 but using backport from bullseye.

I found a RC bug  #1061272 by code review, a few part of sudo are not recompiled from source, that is problematic security wise for such a program.

I solved this RC bug that block other CVE. I am now waiting from review by maintainer about this package, due to huge security implication of sudo.

curl
-----

Backport CVE-2023-27534 to buster

I contacted SuSe security and reported their fixes as incomplete. Rewrite from scratch

Waiting for review by maintainer

Other work
=========

I tried to help santiago with testing infrastructure.

A special thanks to Wietse Venema from postfix.

Cheers

rouca

[1]  https://www.freexian.com/lts/
[2]  https://www.freexian.com/lts/debian/#sponsors