(E)?LTS report for october

I've worked during September 2023 on the below listed packages, for Freexian
LTS/ELTS [1]

Many thanks to Freexian and our sponsors [2] for providing this opportunity!

LTS
===

prometheus-alertmanager
---------------------------------------

I have released DLA 3609-1 following fixes from previous month.

batik
-------

I have fixed multiple Server-Side Request Forgery (SSRF) vulnerabilities.
CVE-2020-11987, CVE-2022-38398, CVE-2022-38648, CVE-2022-40146, CVE-2022-44729, CVE-2022-44730
by backporting bulleyes fixes and other distribution fixes.

CVE-2022-44730 first FTBFS. Investigation shows that requiring maven source 1.7
fix it, but this fix does not work on buster. Thus rewrite the patch by avoiding carret <> operator in Java 1.6.

I released Release DLA 3619-1

ring
-----

I tried to the patch from roberto about CVE-2021-32686.
Patch still mismerge. Moreover vulnerable code seems present
due to manual patching at build time under daemon/contrib/src/pjproject/gnutls.patch. This patch manually fixes some CVE but import some experimental API not ported upstream.
A risk anlaysis was carried on my side, and a consensus should be achieved on this CVE

imagemagick
--------------------

I have triaged a few CVE from upstream git

ceph (4h)
-------------

Fix CVE-2023-43040 Ceph: Improperly verified POST keys. Small change on backport, unfortunatly the test suite block build.
Rebuild using directly buster work. The build is slow (more then 8h), so I begin a bisect, that give unfortunatly mixed results.

It seems to be a transient bug,because build now succeed (even if slow).

Thus Release DLA-3629, fixing  CVE-2019-10222, CVE-2020-1700, CVE-2020-1760, CVE-2020-10753, CVE-2020-12059, CVE-2020-25678,
CVE-2020-27781, CVE-2021-3524, CVE-2021-3531, CVE-2021-3979, CVE-2021-20288, CVE-2023-43040.

ruby-rmagick
-------------------

Investigate patch and release a DLA for buster for CVE-2023-5349 a memory leak that crash due to DOS ruby application.

Release DLA 3625-1

ELTS:
====

python3.5
---------------

I have fixed a regression in CVE-2022-48560 patch lead to Werror=declaration-after-statement. Fix it
I have fixed a regression in CVE-2021-3177: ISO C90 forbids mixed declarations and code [-Werror=declaration-after-statement]
I have backported GH-4455 needed for fixing CVE-2022-4856[4-5].
I have fixed Fix CVE-2022-48564: DoS attack via CPU and RAM exhaustion
when processing malformed Apple Property List files
 in binary format. This need a partial rewrite due to unsupported f'string
I have fixed CVE-2022-48565: An XML External Entity (XXE) issue  was discovered in Python. The plistlib module no longer
 accepts entity declarations in XML plist files to     avoid XML vulnerabilities.
I am blocked by CVE-2023-40217: this patch need a rewrite.
*    No support from upstream
*   Code has changed and some method need to be emulated.
*    need to move code and add debug patch in order to avoid a FTBFS
*    need to add more condition to some path
*    need also to fix asyncio path that choke. Async render debug harder.

I am waiting here to a have a full functionnal autopkgtest suite, that choke mainly on old certificate, after applying fix from python3.4. I have applied the following patch:
* fix testsuite with newer expat that crash a test case using XML External Entity
* avoid testing with eatmydata of fdatasync
* refresh dh key and investigate crypto test failure => these ones are fixed
* backport bpo-38275: skip test that fail due to ssl policy.
* Manually extract supported ssl version (introduced in python3.7 not backportable), this need a to parse openssl private structure

For ssl work is somethat hard because generation of certificate is not documented (neither in code or in commit).

python3.4
---------------

I hae enabled gitlab test in order to improve quality
I have fixed a regresssion in CVE-2022-48560 patch lead to Werror=declaration-after-statement. Fix it
I have backported GH-4455 needed for fixing CVE-2022-4856[4-5].
I am going to fix testsuite:
* fix testsuite with newer expat that crash a test case using XML External Entity
* avoid testing with eatmydata of fdatasync
* refresh dh key and investigate crypto test failure => these ones are fixed
* backport bpo-38275: skip test that fail due to ssl policy.
* Manually extract supported ssl version (introduced in python3.7 not backportable), this need a to parse openssl private structure

common infrastructure

I have improved part of documentation, reviewed debusine, and improving the security tracker embedded code copy script in order to be useful for ELTS.

I have also helped other on IRC.

A special thanks to Santiago for irc talk.

[1]  https://www.freexian.com/lts/
[2]  https://www.freexian.com/lts/debian/#sponsors

Cheers, rouca