Re: Urgency for uploads

On Wed, May 4, 2022 12:03, Moritz Muehlenhoff wrote:
> Hi Enrico,
>
>> in the Developers's reference[1] it says, in boldface, that security
>> updates should be built with "urgency=high".
>
> This is incorrect advice and I have idea where it came from. The urgency
> is completely irrelevant for any security upload to LTS/oldstable/stable,
> only for testing-security uploads when these were still a thing (maybe
> that's
> how this trickled in).

It has historically been set to high for security (stable) uploads,
already in Joey times, and this is and has always been part of the
instructions for DD's to prepare stable security uploads just because it
was how it was done. Probably it once came from a semantical background
for the receiver of such an update ('this change is of high urgency'), but
not because it had any practical impact for the Debian archive side of
things.

Maybe we should just remove it from the instructions? One less hoop for
people to jump through and it does not add any real value.

Cheers,
Thijs