Re: [Pkg-clamav-devel] Clamav Package

Hi Klaipedaville,

On Sat, Oct 29, 2022 at 2:22 PM Klaipedaville Mail
<mail@klaipedaville.info> wrote:
> Debian 10 (Buster) keeps on complaining that ClamAV version 0.103.6
> is outdated and I need to upgrade it to the latest one, which is ClamAV
> 0.103.7. However, it won't let me install from packages and says that
> it is up to date. When I try to install 0.103.7 on Buster anyway it it says
> that there are some new packages missing. I can of course force install
> these missing packages but the question is won't it break anything?

You cannot even "force install" when there are no 0.103.7 packages in
the buster archive in the first place. :)

Or are you considering other installation options?

> Plus, what's with the constant daily outdated message when it is up to
> date in Debian 10 (Buster)? ClamAV 7 is only for the latest version of
> Debian, which is 11. Debian 10 (Buster) has to run on ClamAV 6 only as
> far as I understand, am I wrong? But... it complains in Buster literally
> daily and "wants" ClamAV 7.. I am a bit lost. Could anyone fill me in
> a little? Appreciate.

It's a ClamAV thing where it tells its users when there's a newer
version released and available for installation. It's a non-fatal
warning.

In general, we have certain packages that we want to keep up-to-date
in LTS and ELTS releases and ClamAV being one of them. It wasn't a
pressing issue since there are no security issues in this release but
I'll look into this and prepare backports for buster, stretch, and
jessie.

- u