Re: EOL candidates for security-support-ended.deb10 (OpenStack support)

On 8/8/22 11:40, Sylvain Beucler wrote:
Thanks for all your inputs.  We would certainly welcome instructions
on how to setup a testing OpenStack environment for LTS updates, which
could be documented at https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/TestSuites
Is that what you offered?

I don't think contributors to the LTS effort will have the necessary hardware. To deploy an OpenStack cluster, I would recommend a server with at least 256 GB of RAM, so one can deploy OpenStack in a nested environment (ie: OpenStack running on a bunch of VMs). I personally use a server with 1TB of RAM and 38 VMs, so I can deploy something close to the physical deployment, including billing.

As I don't expect this type of hardware to be available to whoever will do the security fix, my offer is to do the deployment + testing if we really need to.

Also, I don't expect contributors to know how to deploy and operate OpenStack. The nested-virtualization thing is documented over here:

https://salsa.debian.org/openstack-team/debian/openstack-cluster-installer#using-oci-poc-package-for-fun-and-profit

but even like that, it would be hard for a newbie to understand what's going on.

Which is why I'm volunteering for this part (ie: doing functional manual testing if we need it).

But likely, in most cases, this wont be needed, as the policy in OpenStack is to add some new unit tests whenever a bugfix is done. So my help would only be needed in rare cases where we may need to test regressions.

As pochu mentioned, we normally support packages in LTS unless there's
a solid reason /not/ to, and reading this conversation we appear to be
in capacity of supporting OpenStack Rocky packages in buster LTS.

Great, I'll make the announcement then! :)

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)