Re: Match ecosystems with limited support in debian-security-support

Hello Moritz,

On Fri, 16 Apr 2021, Moritz Mühlenhoff wrote:
> > These source package sets comes to mind:
> > - node-*
>
> That would be super-noisy and will potentially clash with a lot of local
> package state.

Do you consider it noisy due to the possible clash with local packages?
Or are both concerns unrelated?

I agree that it would not be good to report local packages as unsupported
and we should likely find a way to avoid this. But if you assume that this
can be fixed, what is the concern?

The purpose of this package is to inform users of unsupported packages
that they have installed and it doesn't seem right to not report anything
when they have such packages.

If the concern is that the list of nose-* packages will shadow the list of
more important packages that are unsupported, maybe we can tweak the
output to list them in a single entry like "node-* (X packages
concerned)".

What do you think of this suggestion?

  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀   Raphaël Hertzog <hertzog@debian.org>
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁