Re: Supporting unbound in stretch by upgrading to 1.9

Hi,

Am Mittwoch, den 17.02.2021, 12:43 -0500 schrieb Robert Edmonds:
[...]
> Hi,
>
> It looks like #982671 / #982672 was assigned by the BTS to src:unbound
> rather than src:unbound1.9. I attempted to re-assign the bug to
> src:unbound1.9 with notfound/found but I don't think that worked since I
> don't see it on
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?src=unbound1.9.
>
> This bug also should have been reported against the unbound binary
> package built by src:unbound1.9, not python-unbound, because the bug
> appears to be about src:unbound1.9's unbound daemon failing to start. My
> understanding is that the embedded Python scripting support in the
> unbound daemon (which is built on stretch against Python 3, not Python 2
> anyway) does not require the python-unbound or python3-unbound packages,
> which are unrelated Python extension module bindings for the APIs in the
> C libunbound library.
>
> Also, it looks like the upload of unbound1.9 1.9.0-2+deb10u2~deb9u1
> dropped the python-unbound and python3-unbound binary packages. It's not
> clear why and it would be nice if the reason were documented in
> debian/changelog.

python{3}-unbound is no longer supported in Stretch. See also DSA-4694-1. [1]
We only support the unbound daemon, unbound-host, unbound-anchor and
libunbound8. Since unbound does not require the python bindings, both packages
were dropped from src:unbound1.9. I suggest to mark this bug as wontfix.

Regards,

Markus

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-security-announce/2020/msg00098.html