Thoughts on CVE-2020-15049/squid3?

Hello fellow LTS people,

I am working on an update for the squid3 package.  At this time there
are 4 open CVEs, of which 3 have patches that apply with little or no
change required.  However, the patch for CVE-2020-15049 does not apply
at all.

Based on the commit message and an examination of the content of the
patch, it does not appear feasible to fix CVE-2020-15049.  Here is a
bullet-formatted summary of my findings:

- The patch (upstream commit ea12a34) indicates that the change
  essentially completes a fix that was begun in an earlier commit
  (upstream commit a1b9ec2)
- The prior commit referenced in the patch (upstream commit a1b9ec2)
  itself refactors a substantial amount of code; the associated commit
  message indicates that the change fixed numerous defects with regards
  to squid's handling of invalid Content-Length header values
- There are changes between a1b9ec2 and ea12a34 which would necessitate
  adapting ea12a34 to some degree
- The changes introduced in a1b9ec2 also depend on code which was itself
  introduced in an earlier commit as a refactor of yet a previous
  version of said code
- By my reckoning, the state of the code in the current squid3 package
  (based on upstream version 3.5.23) has undergone at least 4
  substantial changes leading to the fix for CVE-2020-15049
- An alternate approach would be to develop an entirely new fix for
  CVE-2020-15049 based on the current state of the squid3 package; given
  the history of the code this will likely leave many exploitable
  vulnerabilities related to Content-Length handling

Based on the above findings, I am inclined to triage CVE-2020-15049 as