Re: Is it okay to bump dh-compat?

On Fri, 2020-02-21 at 17:20 +0000, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi Utkarsh,
>
> On Fri, Feb 21, 2020 at 10:37:06PM +0530, Utkarsh Gupta wrote:
> > Is it okay to add d/source/format file? Or should I instead be
> > applying patches via d/rules file?
>
> as a general rule: don't change the packaging when doing security updates.
>
> And mind you, some old packages don't have a patch system at all...

One should only make *minimal* changes in a security update.  However,
converting a package from 1.0 to 3.0 (quilt) when it previously had no
changes to upstream is a small change.  If the maintainer has also made
that change in later versions, I wouldn't hesitate to do so in a
security update.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
You can't have everything.  Where would you put it?