Re: rails update

Hi,

On 06/07/2020 09:55, Pirate Praveen wrote:
> On 2020, ജൂലൈ 6 1:09:09 PM IST, Sylvain Beucler <beuc@beuc.net> wrote:

>>> Attaching the debdiff for reference. The changes looks good to me, but
>>> I defintively would like to see a second pair of eyes here from the
>>> rails maintainers, in particular for CVE-2020-8163, Utkarsh?
>>>
>>> There is no lost work, but if we want to release a rails update for
>>> stretch (before it moves to LTS), we should try to get as well a rails
>>> update beeing prepared for buster, Utkarsh you indicated lack of time
>>> currently, any one other up from the rails maintainers?

Back to the initial topic, the current tasks underway are:

- stretch update review

The update is ready:
https://www.beuc.net/tmp/debian-lts/rails/

It includes an additional regression fix for CVE-2020-8163.
https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/CVE-2020-8163

I requested upstream feedback but given that 4.x is EOL so far no luck.
https://github.com/rails/rails/issues/39301#issuecomment-648885623
https://github.com/rails/rails/pull/39806

Hence we called for a review from a Ruby/Rails-savvy DD.
(stretch moved from oldstable->LTS meanwhile, but the review would still
be appreciated)
Anyone up?

- buster update

I now "up-ported" my stretch work at:
https://www.beuc.net/tmp/debian-lts/rails-buster/
+ added the redis side of CVE-2020-8165

I believe I would do a disservice to the community if I did a one-time
update masking possible problems with long-term maintenance, so I'm
leaving the other CVEs to fix
(cf. https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/source-package/rails)

Cheers!
Sylvain Beucler