Re: [RFC] Proposal: Migrate LTS/TODO wiki page to GitLab issues

Roberto C. Sánchez <roberto@debian.org> writes:

> Rationale: The nature of a wiki makes it suboptimal for managing
> discrete work units.  As developers, we are all familiar with
> interacting with the Debian BTS and other similar systems (e.g., Jira,
> GitHub issues, etc.).  While the Debian BTS would be a natural first
> choice, the best mechanism for grouping related issues that do not
> belong to a single package is usertags.  However, there is currently not
> a way to subscribe to usertags in order to receive notification of new
> bugs created with the tag or of existing bugs which have the tag added
> to them.

How much is this an problem? I imagine it should be possible to create
some sort of app that queries the issues with a tag (I assume gitlab has
some sort of API for this) and automatically subscribes them.

> With that in mind, the creation of a new Salsa project for
> grouping and managing these issues is the best choice given available
> tooling.

Note: it looks like I may not have access to lts-team. I see a "request
access" link, which I will click. I mention this here only because it
might affect others as well.

> Objective: Remove all content from LTS/TODO which can reasonably be
> captured in one or more GitLab Salsa issues.  Then, from this point
> forward manage non-package-specific LTS tasks as issues within the
> lts-team/lts-extra-tasks project.
>
> Please reply with any objections, concerns, comments, or suggestions.

This sounds like a good idea to me.

Just need to come up with an appropriate list of tags to represent the
status. e.g. if a particular TODO item is waiting on response from
security team for example.
--
Brian May <bam@debian.org>