Re: MySQL 5.5 EOL before Debian 8 LTS ends

> Thinking about this some more, maybe we could attempt this, backporting security
> fixes from MariaDB 10.1 or forward-porting them from MariaDB 5.5 (still
> supported until April 2020). That way we don't force any 10.0 -> 10.1 migration
> on our users (though MySQL 5.5 users will still have to migrate). This will be
> more work than backporting new upstream releases, but if we limit ourselves to
> security fixes and possibly some minor stability fixes, it may be feasible.

I am experimenting at
https://salsa.debian.org/mariadb-team/mariadb-10.1/commits/jessie if
it is feasible to get 10.1 running on Jessie at all.

The good news is that it least builds without any modifications.

The bad news is that mariadb-common depends on mysql-common (>=
5.6.25) to ensure /usr/share/mysql-common/configure-symlinks is
available. Having and indentical mariadb-10.1 package in Jessie and
Stretch would decrease the maintenance burden, but Jessie would also
need an updated mysql-common package introduced..