Re: automating process for publishing DLAs on the website

On Fri, Feb 01, 2019 at 01:58:04PM -0500, Antoine Beaupré wrote:
> I'm looking at the update process for DLAs on the main website again.

\o/

> In
> #859122, I've mentioned that I have, again, updated the MR to include
> all DLAs up to DLA-1657-1. The www team folks tell me they will review
> that this weekend.

cool. (I'm offline right now but if this MR only has DLAs I'm tempted to
merge when back online...)

> But that mass-import process is kind of clunky: every time I need to
> download the entire archive, extract it, parse every email, and add the
> diff. It's slow and error prone and not automated, of course.
>
> So I'm bringing back the topic of how we should automate this.

great!

> If I remember correctly, the current proposal is to add this as part of
> the workflow for LTS developers: when you send the announcement on the
> list, you also send a merge request on the website. This would get
> reviewed and merged by another LTS developer with access to the webwml
> repository:
> https://salsa.debian.org/webmaster-team/webwml/project_members

yes, thats the current plan to get this going.

> At least me and Holger have those accesses for now, and I would suggest
> people who do regular frontdesk work could make sure those MR are
> reviewed and merged in a timely manner as well.
>
> Would that work for everyone here?

definitly for me (and for a start).

> If so, we can *already* start with that process, which would actually
> look like this.
>
> One time setup:
>
>     git clone https://salsa.debian.org/webmaster-team/webwml
>     cd webwml
>     salsa fork
>
> Each time there's a new DLA:
>
>     ./bin/gen-DLA --save $CHANGES # correctly claim the DLA
>     $EDITOR DLA-XXXX-Y # make sure the text is okay, like you normally
>                        # do before the email gets sent
>     mutt -H DLA-XXXX-Y # send the email
>     cd ~/src/webwml/english/security
>     git checkout -b DLA-XXXX-Y
>     ./parse-dla.pl ~-/DLA-XXXX-Y
>     git add 2019/DLA-XXX-Y*
>     $EDITOR 2019/DLA-XXXX-Y* # make sure everything looks good
>     git add 2019/DLA-XXX-Y*
>     git commit -m'DLA-XXXX-Y advisory'
>     git push -u origin
>     salsa mr

can you please put that on wiki.d.o/LTS/Development?!

> (Note: that "salsa" command is a new one shipped with devscripts. I only
> read the manpage and didn't actually test that. :) Unfortunately, once
> the MR is created, there's no magic command to merge it for
> reviewers... Seems like this needs to be done through the web
> interface.)

hmm (I think there is a way to do this with a cli).

> I'd be happy if someone sat down and actually tested that procedure.
>
> The alternative, of course, is to setup "something" that would
> automatically parse emails to debian-lts-announce@l.d.o but I suspect
> that could be much more brittle than a manual operation like the above,
> even if it means slightly more work.

yeah. "laters"!

> Thank you for your attention.

very much likewise!