Re: Drop support for libqb?

On Thu, Nov 14, 2019 at 01:31:27PM -0500, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> > > Thanks for the information.  I will start working on it today.
> >
> > As any DD can commit to debian-security-support.git and also can upload
> > that package, just make sure to call it a team upload in d/changelog to
> > appease lintian and possibly other tools.
> >
> I had not yet seen this message so I already submitted a MR.  Should I
> close that and make a direct commit?
>
> > And then it would be ideal to upload the package to unstable and then
> > file a SRM bug to update the package in stretch, in addition to
> > uploading to jessie. (Probably this should also result in a DLA, not
> > 100% sure though. Thoughts & comments definitly welcome.)
> >

> Looking at the previous updates, a DLA seems appropriate.  I am in the
> process of drafting the text.
>
> > I believe it's fine if the version contraints (package version in
> > unstable higher than testing higher than stable higher than oldstable)
> > are temporarily not met, but I also believe it's important that they are
> > in the long run & most of the time.
> >
> > If doing all this work is too much or tedious to you, please shout and I
> > will be happy to finish this. Please just do at least the initial
> > change in git to security-support-ended.deb8.
> >
> If I close the MR and commit directly, is it then a simple matter of
> build and upload to unstable?  That is, no other special steps are
> required?

Some additional follow-up:

- Can I go ahead and mark the CVE in question as <end-of-life> in
  data/CVE/list even before the update to debian-security-support is
  complete?
- Any feedback on this proposed DLA text?

Package        : debian-security-support
Version        : 2019.11.15~deb8u1

debian-security-support, the Debian security support coverage checker,
has been updated in jessie.

This marks the end of life of the libqb package in jessie.  A recently
reported vulnerability against libqb which allows users to overwrite
arbitrary files via a symlink attack cannot be adequately addressed in
libqb in jessie.  Upstream no longer supports this version and no
packages in jessie depend upon libqb, thus making it a leaf package.

We recommend that if your systems or applications depend upon the libqb
package provided from the Debian archive that you upgrade your systems
to a more recent Debian release or find an alternate and up to date
source of libqb packages.

Regards,

-Roberto

--