unzip CVE-2019-13232

Hello Salvatore,

my last email regarding unzip, CVE-2019-13232, apparently remained
unanswered [1] but I feel it needs a clarification hence I am resending it.

I don't understand why CVE-2019-13232 was marked as
unimportant. According to the security tracker documentation the
definition for unimportant is [2]. The reason for marking it as
unimportant is currently

"No security impact, crash in CLI tool, any server implementing
automatic extraction needs to apply resource limits anyway"

First of all there is no crash in unzip, unpacking a specially crafted
zip file may lead to a denial-of-service by consuming all available disk
space which in turn my stop certain services from working correctly.

In my opinion the assumption that "any server implementing automatic
extraction needs to apply resource limits anyway" is like assuming that
all server operators always implement adequate security protections for
all scenarios that may arise from running the services. We all know this
is not true in real life. Also it is perfectly possible that someone
sends out spam emails with a (concealed) zip bomb attached or a link
pointing to it which may be opened by an unsuspecting user. Non
tech-savvy people quickly run into troubles when they unpack such a file
and don't realize that their entire hard disk will fill-up in minutes.
If at all no-dsa would be more appropriate than unimportant in my opinion.

It is quite simple to create such zip files. One can also just download
a 10 MB example file with an output size of 281 TB from the original
advisory page. Given that unzip is basically installed on every Debian
system and it is also the backend for popular front-ends like xarchiver,
I consider it to be likely that at least some users will run into issues
at some point. Buster will be supported for another five years and a fix
is available. Why don't we just fix it?

Regards,

Markus

[1] https://lists.debian.org/debian-lts/2019/07/msg00060.html

[2] unimportant: This problem does not affect the Debian binary package,
e.g., a vulnerable source file, which is not built, a vulnerable file in
doc/foo/examples/, PHP Safe mode bugs, path disclosure (doesn't matter
on Debian). All "non-issues in practice" fall also into this category,
like issues only "exploitable" if the code in question is setuid root,
exploits which only work if someone already has administrative
privileges or similar. This severity is also used for vulnerabilities in
packages which are not covered by security support.