Re: MySQL 5.5 EOL before Debian 8 LTS ends

On 22/01/18 16:35, Markus Koschany wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Am 22.01.2018 um 13:42 schrieb Lars Tangvald:
>> Hi,
>>
>> First off, thanks for handling the 5.5.59 update for Wheezy. I had the
>> security announcement date mixed up so picked it up too late, sorry.
>>
>> MySQL 5.5 is expected to be EOL in December (it was first released
>> December 15, 2010, and we have 8 year security support), while Jessie
>> LTS is until April 2020
>> How are such cases handled? Will the source package be removed, or is it
>> possible to have it upgraded to a more recent version?
>
> These are both possible options but given the significance of MySQL we
> would rather prefer to upgrade to a supported release provided this is
> viable for Jessie.
>
>> If an upgrade is possible, while we did a successful transition in
>> Ubuntu from 5.5 to 5.7, there were significant changes from 5.6 to 5.7,
>> requiring small changes to a lot of third-party packages as well as to
>> the default server behavior, so 5.6 (which is supported until 2021)
>> would be a better option.
>
> I also think it makes sense to take a smaller step and upgrade from 5.5
> to 5.6. Are there any known issues with 5.6 or can you share any
> information about expected regressions with reverse-dependencies?

jessie ships mysql-5.5 and mariadb-10.0. Given that stretch no longer ships
mysql but only mariadb, we could just let mysql-5.5 go end of life, mark it as
unsupported (or drop the server part), and keep supporting mariadb-10.0. Users
will need to move to mariadb at some point anyway. The only problem is that
mariadb-10.0 goes EOL on March 2019. mariadb-10.1 is EOL on October 2020, so if
we decided to provide that in jessie that would be enough.

(Just giving some more options here.)

Emilio