Re: updates on the gnupg/enigmail/thunderbird/firefox situation

On Tue 2018-11-06 10:08:26 -0500, Antoine Beaupré wrote:
> i think it should be possible to do a) - as "gpg2" of course. it would
> require modifications to enigmail to call that binary instead of legacy
> 1.4, but it might just work without breaking too much stuff as people
> probably don't rely on gnupg2 in jessie.

I believe enigmail already calls gpg2 instead of gpg or gpg1 if it is
available.  So if you wanted to ship gpg 2.1 as gpg2 in jessie, that
should be doable.  It's also nice to get people off of the EOL'ed 2.0
version.

I haven't thought through the upgrade/migration implications of that
packaging approach, though.  it probably needs some testing :)

I'd be willing to try to review proposed changes (particularly if
they're done as a branch in the git repo at
https://salsa.debian.org/debian/gnupg2.git), but i don't have the time
to come up with them myself.

thanks for working on debian jessie!

       --dkg