Re: backported gnutls28 3.3.30 packages availabled for jessie LTS

On 2018-10-23 19:26:32, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Tue, 2018-10-23 at 14:00 -0400, Antoine Beaupré wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> After the lengthy discussion[1] regarding the pending security issues in
>> GnuTLS (CVE-2018-10844, CVE-2018-10845, CVE-2018-10846), I have
>> determined it might be simpler to just upgrade to the latest upstream
>> 3.3.x version for which upstream is still providing updates. Upstream
>> agrees with the approach. This removes 35 Debian-specific, backported
>> patches and fixes other unrelated bugs. The API/ABI *changes*, but it
>> only adds *new* symbols so the soname versions do not change.
> [...]
>
> I don't know exactly what gnutls's policy is for stable updates, but
> based on a quick look at the NEWS file it seems like these changes are
> probably suitable for a stable/LTS update.
>
> I did spot some incompatible changes in behaviour which might need to
> be called out in the Debian changelog or NEWS file, or even reverted,
> depending on how many users they might affect:
>
> ** libgnutls: Refuse to import v1 or v2 certificates that contain
> extensions.
>
> ** libgnutls: ARCFOUR (RC4) is no longer included in the default priorities
>    list. It has to be explicitly enabled, e.g., with a string like
>    "NORMAL:+ARCFOUR-128". The previous behavior can be restored using
>    the flag --with-arcfour128 to configure.
>
> ** libgnutls: SSL 3.0 is no longer included in the default priorities
>    list. It has to be explicitly enabled, e.g., with a string like
>    "NORMAL:+VERS-SSL3.0". The previous behavior can be restored using
>    the flag --with-ssl3 to configure.
>
> ** libgnutls: require strict DER encoding for certificates, OCSP requests, private
>    keys, CRLs and certificate requests.  This backports the already default behavior
>    from the 3.5.x branch, in order to reduce issues due to the complexity of BER rules.

Good catches. I should really go through those again with a NEWS.Debian
update in mind.

One thing they did to fix those 'pseudo-constant time' vulnerabilities
is to remove certain algorithms as well, and I don't see those above. So
we shold probably warn about that as well.

A.
--
That's one of the remarkable things about life: it's never so bad that
it can't get worse.