Re: linux backport in jessie LTS

On Sun, 22 Apr 2018, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> Therefore, would it make sense to add a Linux 4.9 backport to the
> regular jessie and jessie-security suites?

Yes, I think so. It's also interesting to keep a security-supported
kernel once we are past the usual 5 years of LTS (aka Extended LTS).
Since the bakcported kernel is still supported in the next release, it's
possible to continue to maintain the backport while the original kernel
version clearly went out of support.

> (Maintaining kernel backports is generally quite easy once the suite
> they are backported from is stable.)

The only downside is that you can't have a linux-latest backport in the
main suite while it was possible in the jessie-backports suite.

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer