Re: calibre / CVE-2018-7889

On 2018-04-18 17:14:33, Brian May wrote:
> I have a version available for testing:
> https://people.debian.org/~bam/debian/pool/main/c/calibre/
>
> I tried to test it myself, but I couldn't find how to start the export
> bookmarks or import bookmarks functions from the UI in the short time I
> had available.

I'm not sure where that happens. The only thing I could find in a recent
Calibre install is in "Books -> Export/import all Calibre
data". Presumably that also imports bookmarks and so on.

The only problem I can see with this patch is if someone made a backup
of their Calibre metadata in .pickle and are trying to import it back
again as JSON: this will fail, obviously. So there's clearly a
backwards-compatibility concern here.

Maybe we should state explicitly in the advisory that people need to
re-export their backups before doing this upgrade?

Otherwise the patch looks sound.

A.
definition, not smart enough to debug it.
                        - Brian W. Kernighan