Re: patch / CVE-2018-1000156

Brian,

> Not sure I understand this comment from dla-needed.txt:

Sorry, I did not see your comment until now.

> The patch - good version at [..] doesn't touch the files noted
> above.

The patch adds a call to make_tempfile (or similar) which uses
utility functions from these aforementioned files, which in turn
uses utility functions in yet other files.

However, those files/utilities are not part of the older wheezy
version, hence I followed "rabbit hole" of porting them over.  I
would usually be happy to backport the odd utility function or two
for a security release, but this descended into far too much code
to be aesthetically pleasing or safe.

(As I noted -- mostly to myself, alas -- we could potentially use a
less-safe version to essentially avoid pulling in many changes, if
any.)

      ,''`.
     : :'  :     Chris Lamb
     `. `'`      lamby@debian.org / chris-lamb.co.uk