Re: [SECURITY] [DLA 1283-1] python-crypto security update

On 2018-03-27 07:38:43, Brian May wrote:
> Antoine Beaupré <anarcat@orangeseeds.org> writes:
>
>> I'm not sure. The security team marked that as "no-dsa (minor issue)"
>> for jessie and stretch, and fixed in pycryptodome 3.4.11-1... Couldn't
>> we reuse the fixes from cryptodome to get this working properly? Or is
>> this what you say breaks API compatibility?
>
> I don't think I ever said anything about breaking API compatability.
>
> Rather the patch that was applied upstream was considered insufficient
> (by the security researcher) to fix the problem.
>
> This is same patch I used for the LTS problem.
>
> Upstream was told about the problem:
> https://github.com/Legrandin/pycryptodome/issues/90#issuecomment-362783537
>
> "This indicates that, with your latest modification, ElGamal encryption
> is now secure under the DDH assumption. However, this is not true. As I
> mentioned in my previous comment, you must encode plaintexts as
> quadratic residues, too (which is, I guess, what breaks compatibility)."
>
> ... but they didn't seem to care:
> https://github.com/Legrandin/pycryptodome/issues/90#issuecomment-362907413
>
> "Since the library itself does not support encryption officially, we
> cannot make claim an implementation using the keys generated by the
> library is secure or not."
>
> So it does look like fixing this properly might break API compatability,
> but there are no known fixes we can apply.

Hmm... so I guess the core question here is whether we expect our users
to actually use cryptodome/pycrypto to do ElGamal-based encryption...

I have the same problem trying to tackle the libgcrypt11 pending
security issue:

https://security-tracker.debian.org/tracker/CVE-2018-6829

My understanding of this issue is that it only affects consumers of the
library that use ElGamal for encryption, a similar problem than what is
described here.

I was tempted to mark this as no-dsa, given how little elgamal is
actually used in the wild. It was also my understanding that GnuPG
wasn't vulnerable to this specific issue, but I haven't verified this
deeply and it's been a while since I checked, so I am not exactly sure
of that specific claim.

CVE-2018-6594 is marked as no-dsa in Jessie/Stretch, for what that's
worth...

But the problem now is that we issued DLA-1283-1 to claim this was
fixed, so at least an update on that should be provided to our users so
we're clear this is *not* fixed. I'm not sure how to do that.

Anyone else has suggestions here?

A.
definition, not smart enough to debug it.
                        - Brian W. Kernighan