Re: Better communication about spectre/meltdown

On Fri, 2018-03-09 at 02:05 +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:
> On Sat, 2018-03-03 at 20:40 +0000, Ben Hutchings wrote:

> > > Thanks for clarifying.
> > >
> > > I will work on backporting your patched gcc-4.9 to wheezy. Should I also
> > > start working on getting the wheezy kernel building with gcc-4.9?  I
> > > understand that an upload must wait for the kernel microde update you
> > > mentioned previously.
> >
> > I can handle the kernel changes.  I've pushed a new branch
> > (wheezy-security-retpoline) to
> > https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/kernel/linux.git/
> >
> > This builds with gcc-4.9 from jessie.  However it doesn't (yet)
> > actually enable use of retpoline.
>
> I'm now working on backporting Spectre mitigations to the 3.16 and 3.2
> stable branches.

The repository has now moved to
https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/linux.git

I released Linux 3.2.101 today with a backport of the retpoline
changes, and have rebased that branch onto it.  The new orig tarball is
at https://people.debian.org/~benh/linux_3.2.101.orig.tar.xz

I was able to build this branch for amd64 using gcc-4.9 from jessie,
and it reports full retpoline support.

Ben.

--
Ben Hutchings
The first rule of tautology club is the first rule of tautology club.