Re: Don't upload LTS versions without plan for (old)stable too (was: Re: Wheezy update of irssi?)

Hi Holger,
On Thu, Mar 08, 2018 at 02:42:47PM +0000, Holger Levsen wrote:
[..snip..]
> >  So, for my own packages: You are free to LTS upload them anytime you
> > want to, but ONLY if you are also willing to check that the things get
> > fixed in our main supported releases, too.
>
> While I totally support your request, let me tell you how I also
> perceive it: to be able to do paid work (fix LTS things) you now also
> require me to do (unpaid) volunteer work. And I am saying this while I
> also understand that it might look strange that things are fixed $there
> but not $here.
>
> (Because we cannot really use those paid LTS ressources to fix non-LTS
> things. At least not without discussing game-changer with the sponsors
> and the Debian community first.)

It doesn't look so black and white to me. If fixing things for
stable/oldstable is a reasonable amount of work _and_ the maintainer
won't handle it and the security team wants to see the bug fixed as well
and there are no other very pressing issues in LTS it IMHO makes sense
to provide patches on (sponsored) LTS time.
We will have to do the work anyway once oldstable becomes LTS, same
holds for stable.
Cheers,
 -- Guido