Re: MySQL 5.5 EOL before Debian 8 LTS ends

Hi,

On 01/23/2018 10:32 PM, Markus Koschany wrote:

Am 23.01.2018 um 11:41 schrieb Lars Tangvald:
Hi,

On 01/22/2018 04:35 PM, Markus Koschany wrote:
[...]
I also think it makes sense to take a smaller step and upgrade from 5.5
to 5.6. Are there any known issues with 5.6 or can you share any
information about expected regressions with reverse-dependencies?
I can't find much of anything that has changed from 5.5 to 5.6 in terms
of default behavior, except for NO_ENGINE_SUBSTITUTION being the default
sql_mode
(https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/sql-mode.html#sqlmode_no_engine_substitution).
I'll do some more digging, but I don't think there should be much impact
on reverse-dependencies.

Some options were removed
https://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.6/en/server-options.html (often
renamed). We did see quite a few regressions of that type for users
upgrading from 5.5 to 5.7, but almost all were because the default 5.5
config in Ubuntu packaging contained options that were removed in 5.7.
What do you (and other on this list) think about the following plan: We
could introduce a mysql-5.6 package already at the start of Jessie LTS
in June, so that LTS users are able to test this new version without
having to switch from 5.5. Then in 2019, when the security support for
MySQL has ended, we perform an upgrade from 5.5 to 5.6. Is this a viable
plan and could both packages coexist?

Regards,

Markus

Ubuntu 14.04 something like this; 5.6 is available but 5.5 is the default. This works for the packages with versioned names: server, client and testsuite, while the rest would be dropped from the 5.6 source. Robie, this was implemented before my time, but I seem to remember comments about it causing some issues in Ubuntu. Do you recall what that was?

--
Lars