MySQL 5.5 EOL before Debian 8 LTS ends

Hi,

First off, thanks for handling the 5.5.59 update for Wheezy. I had the security announcement date mixed up so picked it up too late, sorry.

MySQL 5.5 is expected to be EOL in December (it was first released December 15, 2010, and we have 8 year security support), while Jessie LTS is until April 2020 How are such cases handled? Will the source package be removed, or is it possible to have it upgraded to a more recent version?

If an upgrade is possible, while we did a successful transition in Ubuntu from 5.5 to 5.7, there were significant changes from 5.6 to 5.7, requiring small changes to a lot of third-party packages as well as to the default server behavior, so 5.6 (which is supported until 2021) would be a better option.

--
Lars