Re: Should icedove be renamed in oldstable?

On Tue, 28 Feb 2017 23:15:24 +0100
Guido Günther <agx@sigxcpu.org> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 09:17:38PM +0100, Ola Lundqvist wrote:
> > Hi LTS Team, Guido and Christoph
> >
> > In the dla-needed.txt file I found the following lines:
> >
> > "icedove
> >   NOTE: maintainer currenlty planx to rename to thunderbird with the next
> >   NOTE: upstream version (#851989). Jessie / Wheezy should do the same."
> >
> > I must admit that I do not really see the point in changing the name in
> > neither stable nor oldstable.
>
> Since we're following upstream versions anyway not doing so will
> significantly increase the backporting and testing efforts.

Isn't it the same as if the exact upstream package is not available any more? It is a question of money/working hours if the support can be done. Can someone calculate how many hours per month or version update are needed if artwork is changed to icedove.

I don't know about the usual way to do it, maybe my ideas are plain old. How about:

icedove will be EOL with a message in check-support-status about the change.

1. people installing icedove will be encouraged to install thunderbird or the meta package (see 3.)

2. people having icedove installed can (have to if 3. is not available) run a script to migrate data, directory names etc. to thunderbird

3. people who want the old icedove can choose a meta package, that installs thunderbird and a package with symbolic links. The user gets thunderbird with the art work of thunderbird but with file and directories sym links so private scripts etc. can still be used. (symbolic links for the binaries, the config files in home directories and every changed file in the package file list and a symbolic link the /etc/skel for users added later)

4. backporting thunderbird to icedove with icedove artwork can be done if somebody pays for.

Greets

Jens Korte

Korte <korte@mailbox.org>