Re: help needed to complete regression fix for apache2 Bug#858373
Hi, sorry for the delay. Gmail filed this one into spam :-(
Unfortunately, I don't have access to that environment anymore to confirm. I'll pass this on to the folks that do so hopefully they can.
My recollection from this issue was that I'd tested it against different package versions and the 400 ErrorDocuments had worked beforehand (we used them for ModSec types of things primarily, and I'm confident that mode was working well before hand and after), though possibly not in that particular protocol error context. I vaguely recall having issues reproducing a working ErrorDocument with non-cgi methods in that protocol error mode style test as well, but I don't recall if rhat was only in the newer versions of the software that I had been testing with or true before that update as well.
Anyways, thanks much for following up. Sorry I don't have more info to offer at the moment.
TL;DR: New proposed package (deb7u11) doesn't ctually show a new
regression, please test:
In particular, Brian Kroth: are you *sure* you had that ErrorDocument
400 working in apache2_2.2.22-13+deb7u7 (ie. before the DLA-841-1
upload)? In my tests, it didn't actually work at all. It wouldn't
trigger a segfault, but the CGI script wouldn't get called either. In
the above package, we don't segfault anymore, but we yield a 400 + 500
error message (because the ErrorDocument fails). The solution, here, is
obviously to update to a later Apache version (e.g. update to jessie,
really) to get that functionality working, from my perspective.
More technical details follow.
On 2017-07-21 09:24:00, Stefan Fritsch wrote:
> Hi Antoine,
> On Wednesday, 19 July 2017 15:45:20 CEST Antoine Beaupre wrote:
>> As I mentioned in the #858373 bug report, I started looking at fixing
>> the regression introduced by the 2.2.22-13+deb7u8 upload, part of
>> DLA-841-1. The problem occurs when a CGI(d) ErrorDocument is configured
>> to handle 400 error messages that can be triggered with a simple "GET /
>> HTTP/1.0\n\n". Such a request segfaults Apache in Wheezy right now.
>> Unfortunately, re-introducing the protocol initialization code isn't
>> sufficient: it does fix the segfaults, but the ErrorDocument handling is
>> not quite working yet. Instead of seeing the output of the
>> ErrorDocument, after 10 seconds, I get the raw 400 message, doubled with
>> a 500 error document warning:
>> Note that I have also tried to see if sending "\r\n" instead of just
>> "\n" in my "hello world" example would work around the issue: it
>> doesn't, unfortunately.
>> I am at a loss as where to go from here, to be honest. The patch
>> (attached) at least fixes the segfault, which resolves the primary issue
>> at hand here (DoS by crashing processes!) but it would be nice to
>> actually fix the ErrorDocument as well..
> This sounds familiar. Maybe it's simply broken in 2.2.22. Can you compare with
> 2.2.22-13+deb7u7 if that bug has been there already?
Well, the problem is - how do I reproduce this? I can't generate the
same 400 error message in deb7u7 (I tried!) with the previous techniques
because the new request handling code isn't there. That is, the
following query just works:
# printf "GET / HTTP/1.0\n\n" | nc localhost 80 | head -1
HTTP/1.1 200 OK
Furthermore, generating a 400 error, when it works in deb7u7, doesn't
trigger the ErrorDocument - not sure why:
# printf "G ET / HTTP/1.0\r\n\r\n" | nc localhost 80
HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 13:40:48 GMT
Server: Apache/2.2.22 (Debian)
Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//IETF//DTD HTML 2.0//EN">
<title>400 Bad Request</title>
<p>Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.<br />
<address>Apache/2.2.22 (Debian) Server at wheezy.raw Port 80</address>
Logs show the following:
[Fri Jul 21 13:40:48 2017] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Invalid URI in request G ET / HTTP/1.0
... whether or not the 400 ErrorDocument directive is present. Notice
how the ErrorDocument isn't triggered at all here.
Of course, a 404 ErrorDocument still works correctly:
# printf "GET /wtf HTTP/1.0\r\n\r\n" | nc localhost 80
HTTP/1.1 404 Not Found
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 2017 13:23:46 GMT
Server: Apache/2.2.22 (Debian)
I get this behavior consistently with deb7u7 and the proposed deb7u11
(which only adds a 500 error document to *certain* 400 errors,
basically). I find that is an acceptable compromise to fix a segfault,
and, from my perspective, doesn't introduce a regression.
> In 2.2.30, there is this fix, which is obviously missing from 2.2.22:
> *) core, modules: Avoid error response/document handling by the core if some
> handler or input filter already did it while reading the request (causing
> a double response body). [Yann Ylavic]
> I could not find a changelog entry about the 10s delay, but it's possible that
> that has been fixed as well. If the issue is not a regression, you should
> simply release the patch that you have. The fix for the error document seems
> rather invasive:
But that's another big patch to backport:
20 files changed, 196 insertions(+), 129 deletions(-)
Not sure we want to pile yet another backport on top of the pile we
already have. Now I really regret not updating to 2.2.34. :(
Since this issue doesn't seem to be a regression (the ErrorDocument
didn't seem to get called at all, previously), I think I'll just post a
test package with the regression fix and be done with it for now.
I'm more confident in the upload now, and hopefully it won't break too
many things now. At least we don't segfault. ;)
I'll be available to upload the test package tomorrow or by the end of
next week, if there are no regressions. I'd be glad if someone else
could do some more smoke tests here, in particular the original
submitter who has such a great test environment. :)
Thanks for the feedback, Stefan!
Dans vos mensonges de pierre
Vous gaspillez le soleil
- Gilles Vigneault